If you’re shopping for a used forklift, there are several important things to consider. For example, which type of forklift do you need? An equally important factor is the class of forklift you need. Not sure where to begin? Lift South can help. Our years of experience providing forklift sales and forklift repair in Charlotte, NC and Rock Hill, SC make us experts at recommending the right machine for your company’s needs. Here’s a basic overview of the different classes of forklifts.
- Electric-Motor Rider Forklifts (Class 1) – These forklifts are mainly used for indoors or for loading and unloading trucks.
- Electric-Motor Narrow Isle Forklifts (Class 2) – These forklifts are designed for racking applications, such as moving products around in storage.
- Pallet Jacks (Class 3) – Pallet jacks are chiefly used for loading and unloading trailers and for brief periods of horizontal material handling.
- Internal Combustion Engine Forklifts with Cushion Tires (Class 4) – These models are considered to be traditional forklifts and are powered by liquid propane gas, compressed gas, or gasoline. They are primarily used for indoor purposes.
- IC Engine Forklifts with Pneumatic Tires (Class 5) – These models are very similar to those in Class 4 except they’re principally used outdoors.